Australia Partner Visa

If you’re married, engaged, or are in a de-facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or a qualifying New Zealand citizen, you become eligible to apply for a partner visa to Australia.

The Australian partner visa program

The Australian partner visa, also known as the spouse visa, this process permits applicants to be sponsored by their partners or spouses residing in Australia or New Zealand. Post-approval, the applicant can live in Australia while they seek approval for a permanent partner visa.

Categories of Australian Partner Visa

This visa is classified into predominantly two Australian spouse visa categories
which has further six subcategories.

Partner visa (Subclass 820/801) & Partner visa (Subclass 309/100) visa

The process to get the partner visa is divided into two stages. Initially, the
primary applicant is granted a temporary partner visa (Subclass 820 or 309).
You become eligible to apply for transition to permanent partner visa (Subclass
801/100) after at least 2 years of your temporary partner visa grant.

The only difference between these two categories of subclass visa is that
subclass 820/821 can be applied onshore (from within Australia). However,subclass 309/100 can only be applied offshore (from outside Australia).

Prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) or the Finance visa

This is a non-immigrant temporary visa that allows the applicant to reside in
Australia for nine months. During that time, you can wed your partner in
Australia. Post that, you become eligible to apply for a temporary partner visa,
Subclass 820.

You can only be granted this visa if:

    • You ought to be engaged to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent
      resident, or New Zealand citizen.
    • In the case of a de facto relationship, you must have shared a live-in
      relationship with your partner for minimum of 12 months.
    • You intend to wed your partner within 9 months of your coming to Australia.


Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

This is a temporary visa where you can declare your dependent child to the subclass 100 or 801 permanent visas after the visa grant.
It is for:

    • Your child, stepchild, or adopted child under the age of 25 years.
    • Those applicants who can provide for their child in terms of accommodation and stay for at least 2 years post-arrival in Australia.

Exceptions for a permanent partner visa

An applicant is exempted from the condition of living for at least 2 years in
Australia to transition to a permanent visa if:

    • You can provide evidence of your marriage or relationship with your spouse/partner exceeding 5 years.
    • You have dependent children in your relationship and your relationship exceeds 2 years.
    • You shared a legally documented relationship with your spouse before them being granted protection or a permanent visa.


Main eligibility conditions for an Australian spouse visa

    • The most important eligibility requirement is that the relationship you share with your partner should be long-term and real.
    • You should continue living together with your spouse permanently.
    • Your relationship with your spouse must exceed a period of 12 months.
    • You both must qualify for health and character requirements.


Processing time for partner visas

  • Subclass 309 (provisional visa)

75% applications- 11 months
90% applications- 15 months

  • Subclass 100 (Permanent visa)

75% applications- 20 months
90% applications- 23 months

The process to apply for an Australian spouse visa


Step 1- Keep your documents handy

You should be ready with all the required documents while applying for the
visa, as this enhances your chances of the timely approval.

Step 2- Apply for your Australian partner visa application

After that, you can apply for your partner visa online. Once you have lodged the application, you must clear the fees and retain the receipt.

Step 3- Wait for a decision from DHA

Once the application has been placed, DHA takes several months to declare a
decision on your application.

Step 4- Get your visa approved

Post obtaining approval from DHA, you will get your visa and move ahead