Australia is becoming a hot destination for international students based on current statistics.
What is a student visa?
Overseas students who want to study in Australia need to lodge a Student Visa Subclass 500 application. For student visa application an overseas student needs to have a confirmation of enrolment COE for a CRICOS registered course. CRICOS is the short form of Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. For the student visa application, the course of study should be a full-time study of 2 years which should be completed in a period of not less than 16 months. For student visa application, the course should also be a registered CRICOS course or a combination of 2 or more courses known as packaged courses from a CRICOS registered Australian institution. Student visa applicants have various choices of courses which they can select as far as they comply with the Australian visa guidelines. This helps the overseas students to pursue a course and career of their liking.
The student visa subclass 500 allows international students to stay in Australia for a maximum period of 5 years. The visa period depends on the length of the full time registered CRICOS course from an Australian University or college.
Student Visa subclass 500 also allows family members such as spouse, partner, and children to be part of the student visa application as secondary applicants.
Student visa subclass 500 applicants need to satisfy all student visa criteria, requirements, rules, and regulations when submitting their student visa application. Australian government allows international students to work while they are studying in their course. The student visa has work rights of 48 hours a fortnight or a two-week period. The student visa work rights do not start until they have started their study in Australia.
The first step in the student visa application is to get a confirmation of enrolment (COE) from an Australian University or college. Australian university has very strict guidelines which needs to be followed by an overseas student before the university issues a confirmation of enrolment (COE). This confirmation of enrolment (COE) is required to lodge a student visa application.
Since the Australian University have very high requirements before they approve an international student for studying in Australia in their institution, it is very important to consult an expert education consultancy and migration agency from Australia.
Oracle Immigration Consultants are experts who simplify the COE and student visa application process which helps in getting approval for COE from University and increases the chances of grant of student visa. Moreover, the student visa applicant saves themselves from the time consuming and difficult application process.
What does Student Visa Subclass 500 allows you to do in Australia?
Student Visa holder is allowed the following privileges while studying in Australia on the visa subclass 500.
- The student visa allows an international student to study in a full-time CRICOS registered course in Australia registered from a CRICOS registered Australian institution.
- The subclass 500 student visa allows family members who are under 18 years to be part of the student visa application. This allows the family to stay in Australia with the student visa primary applicant.
- The student visa has working rights of 48 hours a fortnight for the international student from 1st Jully, 2023. It’s a great new for international students since the earlier work rights for student visa holders was only 40 hours a fortnight.
- The student visa subclass 500 allows the members of the family who have been granted a student visa to work for 48 hours a fortnight.
- The student visa holders who are studying master’s degree by Research or Doctoral Degree have unlimited work rights.
- The student visa holder can stay in Australia for a maximum period of 5 years. The visa period granted depends on the length of the period the study.
- The student visa holder can travel outside Australia and return to Australia anytime until their student visa ceases.
English Requirement for Australian Student 500 Visa
To be granted a student visa subclass 500, an applicant needs to provide evidence of level of their English. For this they need to appear in an English Language Test and obtain the minimum number of marks depending upon the English language Test they appear in. Minimum English level requirement is a criterion which needs to be fulfilled by a student visa applicant in their student visa application to be granted a subclass 500 student visa.
The following are the English Language Tests approved by the Australian government and the minimum scores required in these tests to satisfy student visa application criteria:
Approved Student Visa English tests and minimum test scores
What is the student Visa 500 Eligibility Criteria?
To be granted a student visa in Australia a student visa application must satisfy all the student visa criteria, rules, and regulations. Before an international student can avail the facilities on their student visa during their stay in Australia, they need to fulfill student visa eligibility. They also need to fulfill the admission eligibility of the University before they are issued a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).
The following is the eligibility criteria of Australian student visa subclass 500:
What is the cost of the student visa 500?
The current cost of student visa subclass 500 is 650 Australian dollars. The total fees will depend on the number of applicants in the student visa application. You can check the latest student visa fee by using the department’s Visa Pricing estimator.
What is the Age-Restriction for student visa Australia?
The student visa applicant must be at least 6 years of age. For students who are less than 18 years old, they can be accompanied on a student guardian visa.
For the school age applicants who are less than 18 years old, there are age restrictions depending on the Year the student is enrolling in. The following are the age restrictions for each Year for a student visa applicant:
- Year 9: The Student Visa applicant must be less than 17 years old.
- Year 10: The visa 500 applicant must be less than 18 years old.
- Year 11: The subclass 500 applicant needs to be less than 19 years of age.
- Year 12: The student visa subclass 500 applicant must not be more than 20 years of age.
What proof of Enrolment is required for student visa?
A student visa subclass 500 applicant needs to provide evidence that they have secured admission in an Australian University or College. Evidence in the form of a valid Confirmation of enrolment (COE) letter is required by the Australian government at time of the student visa application. Without this active COE letter, a student visa application will be rejected.
Can I apply for Multiple Courses for a student visa?
An international student can apply for 2 or more courses for their student visa application, provided one course clearly leads to another. Confirmation of enrolment (COE) letter for each of this course will need to be uploaded as evidence with student visa application.
Which student visa applicants need Welfare Arrangements?
International students who are school aged and under 18 years of age need appropriate approved welfare arrangements before they can be granted a student visa. To get more information please read the article student guardian visa.
What are the student Visa English requirements?
A student visa application needs to be accompanied by evidence that the applicant has scored the minimum score in approved English language exams. These scores in different English tests are explained above.
Which Health Insurance is required for student visa?
What is the Financial Proof or evidence required for a student visa?
A student visa holder must provide proof of financial capacity that they have funds to support their study and all other associated costs.
This is explained in Student Visa Checklist.
What is GTE?
The student visa has a requirement that all student visa applicants must be Genuine Temporary applicants. It is very important that a good GTE statement is made and lodged at the time of the student visa application.
The visa rules stipulate that the applicant must return to his motherland after the end of their course.
What is character requirement for student visa?
The student visa holder must satisfy the Australian government they are of good character. The character requirement for a student visa is explained in Student Visa Checklist.
What is the health requirement for student visa?
Before the student visa is granted an applicant need to appear in a visa medical examination to satisfy the Australian government that they are healthy, and their health will not cause burden on Australian government, and you don’t have TB etc.
Can I be granted a student visa if I have previous visa refusals or visa cancellations from Australia or other countries such as Canada?
It is very important that any visa refusals or visa cancellations are declared in the application. For more information contact Oracle Immigration Consultants.
Where can I get a Student Visa Checklist?
To see the detailed student visa checklist, click on Student Visa Checklist. The evidence for student visa may also change depending upon your country of passport and Australian University or college. To know more, click here.
What is the processing time of student visa?
Processing time for student visa applications is discussed below:
- Student Visa for Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector
- 25% of applications in 9 Days
- 50% of applications in 18 Days
- 75% of applications in 39 Days
- 90% of applications in 5 Months
- Student Visa for Postgraduate Research Sector
- 25% of applications in 26 Days
- 50% of applications in 4 Months
- 75% of applications in 7 Months
- 90% of applications in 12 Months
- Student Visa for Non-Award Sector
- 25% of applications in Less than 1 day
- 50% of applications in Less than 1 day
- 75% of applications in 6 Days
- 90% of applications in 14 Days
- Student Visa for Schools Sector
- 25% of applications in 15 Days
- 50% of applications in 27 Days
- 75% of applications in 3 Months
- 90% of applications in 9 Months
- Student Visa for Independent ELICOS Sector
- 25% of applications in 7 Days
- 50% of applications in 21 Days
- 75% of applications in 46 Days
- 90% of applications in 4 Months
- Student Visa for Vocational Education and Training Sector
- 25% of applications in 30 Days
- 50% of applications in 3 Months
- 75% of applications in 7 Months
- 90% of applications in 14 Months
- Student visa for Higher Education Sector
- 25% of applications in 9 Days
- 50% of applications in 23 Days
- 75% of applications in 4 Months
- 90% of applications in 10 Months
To see the latest student visa processing time, click here.
Student Visa Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
How much does an international student earn in Australia?
The earning capacity depends on overseas students’ capability, skills, and knowledge. But the national wage rate in Australia is $21.38 Australian dollars per hour.
What is the minimum age for student visa subclass 500?
An applicant for a student visa must be at least 6 years of age.
What is the student visa subclass 500 cost?
The current student visa fee is AUD 650 for basic primary applicant.
What are the student visa conditions?
After the student visa is granted, the holder of the student visa subclass has certain conditions imposed on them. The student visa holders are required to abide by these conditions on their visa or their visa can be cancelled, or future visa applications refused.
How can I get scholarship for an Australian University?
Disclaimer: All information provided in this blog is general in nature and does not constitute immigration advice. For personal tailored immigration advice contact us by clicking on Oracle Immigration Consultants, Melbourne.