There are times when a student visa holder travels to Australia and leaves his family including spouse/partner and children in their home country. After the student visa holder completes his or her studies, they lodge an application for subclass temporary graduate visa.
Later, they decide to bring their spouse or children on subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa. In these cases, the children and spouse are secondary applicants and since a separate application is being lodged after the primary applicant has already lodged his or her subclass 485 visa application they are known as subsequent entrants.
Processing time of the subsequent entrant 485 subclass dependents visa.
It is a very commonly asked question by primary applicants of the subclass 485 visa that how long it will take for their partner’s or children to be granted the subclass 485 visa after they have applied for the visa.
There is not one answer to this question.
The processing time of the subsequent dependent subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa may vary due to individual factors of the 485-visa applicant.
Some of these factors of these time frames are as follows:‘Some of these factors of these time frames are as follows:
- One of main reasons for increased processing time for the subclass 485 dependent visa is incomplete documents uploaded on the subclass 485 visa application file. So, it is very important to make sure that all required 485 visa documents are uploaded with the visa application.
- There may be times when the visa or the case officer from the department may request some information or documents. To make sure that your 485 visa is processed quickly, please provide the requested documents to immigration department as soon as possible.
- Other factors which may decide on the processing times of your visa 485 application are medical checks, Overseas police checks and AFP (Australian federal Police) clearance checks. The quicker are these checks, the more chances are that you have may have your 485-visa processed quickly.
- The processing times of the subclass 485 dependant visas or also sometimes dependent on factors such as volume of subclass 485 applications and any other polies of the immigration department including ministerial directions.
The following are some indictive processing times of subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa from Department of Home Affairs who look after immigration in Australia:
Processing time frame for Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa (Graduate Work Stream) 2023
- 25% of applications: 72 Days
- 50% of applications: 5 Months
- 75% of applications: 10 Months
- 90% of applications: 13 Months
Processing time frame for Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa (Post-Study Work Stream) 2023
- 25% of applications: 79 Days
- 50% of applications: 4 Months
- 75% of applications: 10 Months
- 90% of applications: 15 Months
Processing time frame for Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa (Second Post-Study Work Stream) 2023
No Processing times are available from Department of Home Affairs for this stream of subclass 485 visa.
Processing time frame for Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa (Replacement Stream) 2023
No Processing times are available from Department of Home Affairs for replacement stream of subclass 485 visa.
*It is very important to understand that these 485 visa processing times are indicative only and have been taken from website of Department of Home Affairs. But with recent experience we have seen that subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visas lodged for applicants who are in Australia and submitted complete documents have been granted on the same day with no medical or health examination required.
This seems to be a temporary measure but can change any time by Department of Home Affairs. But in most cases applicants travelling from overseas will be required to go through health/medical examination to satisfy the health criteria for subclass 485 temporary graduate visa.
Disclaimer: The above information is not tailored to personal circumstances.
For information relevant to personal circumstances, please book an
appointment with Oracle Immigration Consultant’s expert migration agents in
For any inquiries, please contact us at +61 430812158. We are premier Immigration agency and consultancy in Melbourne (Bundoora and Geelong).