All about Visitor Visa Subclass 600 Extension
A visitor visa subclass 600 cannot be extended. There is a misconception and confusion among subclass 600 visa holders that they can extend their visitor visa while they are in Australia. But the reality is that a new application for visitor visa subclass 600 needs to be lodged.
What are the main things you need to know in regards to a tourist Visa Extension?
*New Application Visitor Visa:
As discussed above, a visitor visa cannot be extended. So, a new visitor visa subclass 600 application needs to be lodged.
* No Further Stay Condition (Condition 8503):
Depending on the visitor visa stream applied, No further stay condition may be imposed by the immigration department on a visitor visa.
How does No Further Stay Condition 8503 affect your future visa applications while are in Australia?
For a visitor visa holder who is affected by No further stay condition, they cannot make a new visa application while they are in Australia. But they may be able to get the No further stay condition waived in limited circumstances before they can lodge a new visa application from Australia.
Waiver for No further Stay Condition 8503
There may be circumstances when a visitor visa holder may need to make a new visa application while they in Australia in spite of No further stay condition imposed on their current visa. In this case they may apply for a 8503 waiver which will need to be approved before they can lodge another visa application while they are in Australia.
In what case can you make an 8503 No further Stay Condition Waiver request?
Although there is no exhaustive list on the circumstances in which the waiver for 8503 is given, the policy states that there should be compelling and compassionate circumstances beyond applicant’s control to waive the no further stay condition (Condition 8503).
What are some examples of The No Further Stay condition waiver circumstances?
- If a visitor visa holder sustains a serious injury or contracts a serious medical condition in Australia and it is unreasonable to expect them to leave Australia until they are fit to travel. In these medical reports need to be provided with 8503 Waiver.
- Death or serious illness within close family. In this case appropriate medical reports need to be submitted and under the policy, Department of home Affairs officers also consider the nature of assistance and support provided by the visitor visa holder to the family member and the level of assistance already available to the family member in Australia.
- A natural disaster in the visitor visa holder’s home country which may make it unreasonable for the visitor visa holder to return to their home country.
- War or severe civil unrest in visitor visa holder’s home country which may affect their safety and security if they return to their home country.
What are the examples where a waiver for No further stay condition 8503 will not be considered?
- Usually marriage or start to a new relationship with an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident might not be considered as a circumstance beyond visitor visa holder control and may not eligible for a 8503 waiver.
- Pregnancy of the visitor visa subclass 600 holder or their Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident partner may not satisfy the requirements of 8503 waiver unless their complications associated with pregnancy or childbirth. For these medical reports and doctors’ letter will be required.
*New Australian Visa application cannot be lodged due to Section 48 bar.
In case of a visitor visa holder whose visitor visa has ceased, and they don’t hold a substantive visa, they may not be able to lodge another visitor visa application during their stay in Australia.
Extension for Business Visitor Visa Subclass 600
A holder of business visitor visa in Australia cannot seek extension of their Business visitor Visa. As discussed above, all visitor visa applications need to be lodged again as a new application. If a business visitor visa holder needs extension of their stay, they need to provide strong reasons to the immigration department. This is because under policy a stay of more than 3 months is generally not considered appropriate for Business Visa Subclass 600 holders. This is to ensure that Australian citizens and Australian Permanent Residents are not adversely impacted for employment or training opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
How much is the cost of extension for tourist visa Australia?
As discussed above a new tourist visa needs to be lodged every time and as such no tourist visa extension is granted.
The application fee for tourist visa in the tourist stream when applying from Australia is $380.
For cost of other tourist visas please click on Tourist Visa cost.
What is the Australia tourist visa processing time for extension?
The tourist visa extension processing time when the application is made from within Australia is as follows:
- 25% of applications: 4 Days
- 50% of applications: 12 Days
- 75% of applications: 18 Days
- 90% of applications: 35 Days
Please also check the tourist visa processing times.
What is Parent Visitor Visa Australia?
To know more about Parent Visitor Visa Australia click on the link in the statement.
Disclaimer: All information provided in this blog is general in nature and does not constitute immigration advice. For personal tailored immigration advice contact us by clicking on Oracle Immigration Consultants, Melbourne.
For More Information Visit: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-onshore
Disclaimer: The above information is not tailored to personal circumstances.
For information relevant to personal circumstances, please book an
appointment with Oracle Immigration Consultant’s expert migration agents in
For any inquiries, please contact us at +61 430812158. We are premier Immigration agency and consultancy in Melbourne (Bundoora and Geelong).